Jorden had a Mountain Man campout with his scout group last week. He was pretty excited for it, especially after having made a huge knife with a deer antler handle. One of the things he had to have was a capote. Ca-what you might ask? That's right, capote. Apparently it's some type of Old French wool cloak-jacket thing. It was made from a wool army blanket and he cut out all the pieces, I just had to sew it together. So after recovering from the stomach flu, I was all set. Then about 2 feet into the first line, the thick material broke my sewing machine needle, and the store was already closed for the day. Yay. Next day, I went out and bought 10 needles, 5 heavy ones for sewing denim, and started again. 3 needles later, the capote was complete. Jorden made a few minor alterations to the final result, but it kept him warm on the campout, and I guess that was the main purpose behind it. :)
Here is a drawing I found on-line of what one capote style might look like. Jorden's was a little different - no front collar or buttons, although he chose to add some at the last minute.
Here is Jorden modeling the capote. If he had asked I could have made sure that the stripes lined up when he added the buttons, but what do mom's know...
And the hood. It had tassles and everything. :D
From the back. I'll bet after seeing this thing of beauty you are shocked and amazed that I actually FAILED 7th grade Home Ec! And not even because of the cooking! :P That part I got an A on -- I guess Mrs. Flake didn't appreciate my attempt at sewing a skirt. Oh well, she couldn't keep me from trying again! :D
Vote for Spunk...
17 years ago








1 comments:
Way to go on your sewing! Did he get to use his new knife? :)
Post a Comment