Inspiration by Twilight...

Twilight Quote Slideshow 475x238px

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My first favorite thing...

Well, since nothing too exciting happened today - other than school and that's never very exciting, although I did finally get all of my books :) - I decided that I would start talking about some of my favorite things. There is a long list and most of them will probably make you say "What is she thinking?" but I love them and I guess that's what's important! :) But at least you'll get to know a little more about me, and maybe even find out something you didn't know!

My first favorite thing is architecture! I love a beautiful building!! And there have been some truely amazing architects over the years. When we were at Legoland I was most excited about their Miniland, and even more so when I saw 2 of the buildings! The first is the Guggenheim Museum that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Many Arizonan's know about him because there is a street named after him, or because he lived in Phoenix and ran a school there, but that was all in his later life. He was a ground-breaking architect who really turned the world of architecture upside down! He has many beautiful buildings but the Guggenheim is probably one of his best known. Here it is, in all it's Lego Block glory! :)



Next is the Sydney Opera House. It was designed by Jorn Utzon, a Danish architect who, up until the time this building was built, had never had any of his other designs actually constructed. The building process was very long and very expensive but a beautiful building came from it. This building is now pretty much the symbol of Sydney, and even the Lego version was really fun to see!



But my favorite architect is a Canadian born man named Frank Gehry. He is kind of a Jack-of-All-Trades in the sense that he does many other things besides being an architect. He is very unconventional in his design process and even more so in his designs. He's probably best known for the Guggenehim Bilboa in Bilboa, Spain, or for the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A. But my favorite building of his is a little office building in Prague, called "Fred and Ginger," or "The Dancing House." I love the whimsy of it and the fact that it is something so common, yet it doesn't look like what it actually is. Who, other than Frank Gehry, would have thought to create a building to look like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers? It's genius!!



Great building are everywhere, we just have to take the time to notice them. That is one reason I am glad to have taken all the school classes I have. At first I thought "Who cares about these buildings? And this furniture, it's from a hundred years ago! So what?!" But now I appreciate it and I find myself loving it more every day! It's surely one of the things I love most!!!

1 comments:

Brooke said...

Man! That last building is amazing. I wonder what it feels like to be inside of it...Cuz, I sometimes feel like the house we're living in is dancing...at least at one end of the house when the house politely gives you a dip. :) I'll be excited to read your other "favorites," I'm just wondering if I make it to #2 or #3...just kidding! :)