Inspiration by Twilight...

Twilight Quote Slideshow 475x238px

Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Birthday, A Bot, and A Big Bug...

Gee, I have been slacking off this week! I totally meant to put up pictures from Jayden's birthday and I didn't. I guess better late than never! :D

Jayden had a fun day. We went to the store and he picked out lots of good presents for himself. He got a new camoflauge swim suit (what, you thought it would be some other color? :P ), some new sandals, 3 toy guns, 2 toy swords, and a toy dagger. So, I guess there's not much question about it -- he's all boy! He also got a fun tech deck skate ramp toy from his buddy Jedaiah next door. And if that wasn't enough he also got a super fun package from Aunt Brooke and Uncle Elliott. I did happen to get pictures from that, even though I have yet to get any of him with the toys we bought him. :D I guess it's more fun if it comes in a box and you have no idea what it could be!

Here's Jayden with his box from Brooke and her family.



And how did Aunt Brooke know, a nerf gun! It's Perfect!!! I think he's starting a collection. :D He was super excited and shot at us for the next few days after getting it. :P There were several other toys in there too, like army guys which he played with all that night. Funny boy!



For Jayden's birthday he wanted to go see Wall-e, which happened to open on this birthday! We all piled into the car, minus Jorden who was still at scout camp, and headed to the drive-in Friday night. We love going to the drive-in because it's WAY cheaper, we can take our own food and drinks, plus we can take chairs and sit outside and the kids can run around a little bit and talk and it doesn't bother anyone. If we were really adventurous we would stay for both movies that are shown each night but with the movie starting at 8:30 and ending around 10:30 everyone was tired out and ready to go home. But the movie was good and we are all glad we went!



By the time we got home from the movie Jensen was asleep and Jayden was pretty close. He decided to wait and do his cake the next day. Plus Jorden would be home and he wanted to wait for him. At the store he first picked out a Wall-e cake, but then I pointed out the fact that the Wall-e cake was $20 and a little cake and dozen cupcakes were $8, which meant he would get $12 more for birthday presents. He's no fool! Before I knew it the cake was back in the bakery rack and we were heading home with a tiny cake and cupcakes and a fancy double barrel shot gun that really smokes when you remove the shells. He sure was excited!

Here's Jayden with his little cake and some of the Speed Racer cup cakes. Is that Racer X I see on some of those cup cakes??? Ahhh, yes it is!! (Mom was happy... :D )



Singing to him, as he swayed along with the music. Did I mention what a funny boy he is?



All the kiddies, who as Jensen is showing with her towel, had been playing in the sprinkler on the trampoline all day.



So Sunday night Tim was outside and he heard a sound coming from some leaves. When he went to look this is what he found --

A Palo Verde Root Borer! Have you ever seen one of these things? I got this picture from a site on-line that talks about them. It was about 3 inches long and not too happy about being caught. He put it in a jar and left it on the kitchen table for the kids to find the next morning. They were thrilled and soon had it trying to climb the new tech deck skate ramp Jayden got for his birthday. I was a little worried at first but the bug seemed more than happy to play with them. It sat in Jorden's hand and never tried to pinch or bite any of the kids, even though it had HUGE pinchers on it. The kids named it Midnight and fed it every bug they could find. No wonder it was happy to play with them! :D



When it was time to let it go Monday night, Tim and all the kids took it outside and set it next to the planter. After they came in Jensen came over to me and threw her arms around me as she cried "I miss Midnight!" I had to laugh because we only had this bug for 2 days and she was already so attached! She sure is a tender hearted little girl. I suggested that we go outside and see if Midnight was still there and maybe we could take a picture of her with the bug before it went back to its home and family, since I was sure they were worried about Midnight. :P Tim went out with us to catch it and man, it was like some crazed spirit had possessed the little thing! It did not want Tim to hold it and even tried to bite him. We soon realized that there was no way we were going to let Jensen hold it, so I grabbed a bowl so that she could hold it up by her face and we could get a picture. As you can tell, she had been playing in the water all day so she has her swim suit on, and by that time of night her hair was Out. Of. Control. But she was happy and I guess that's all that really matters.

Here is Jensen and her favorite Palo Verde Root Borer -- Midnight.



Jensen trying to smile and keep the bug inside of the bowl as it tries to make a break for it.



Jensen trying to crawl like Midnight.



Silly girl! Oh the fun we have when it's 112 degrees outside f0r weeks and weeks at a time! :D It's been 110 or higher here for 14 of the last 18 days, and the forecast is for more of exactly the same. Where is that rain again?? And how much longer until vacation??? Oh, I can't talk about it, I just have to stay inside of my nice cool house and only run errands before 8am or after 10pm. :D Just think, it's almost the 4th of July! I guess I'd better get some hot dogs and string cheese for Bambi since it's also her 5th birthday. I'm actually kind of surprised I've managed to keep her alive for 5 years! But I guess it hasn't been too hard -- she eats everything we do so I don't even have to think about it! :D Oh, she's a silly dog!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

A few things...
I'm sooo glad Jayden liked his presents. It's hard to know what children like (unless it's a 2-year-old girl...then I have a good guess). He's one smart cookie with the "get a different cake and have 12 more bucks for toys." :)
Uh...the bug? Yikes! I can't believe Jensen got so attached to that thing. I'd be anxious to have it out of my sight!
Finally...I'm so excited to see you guys...is it really just next week? Yeah!

Brooke said...

One more thing...I love Jorden's new haircut! I can see his pretty eyes! But, don't tell him that or he may grow it out just to spite me. :)

Brandi said...

I know!! Next week!! I'm excited to see you all!! And about Jorden's haircut...I like it now, but I wasn't too happy about it when he came home from Grandpa's with it cut. He had spent the night with Christian and apparently they both got their hair cut. Oh well, like I said, it looks good now. I guess it's growing on me. :P

Five Bresees said...

That bug is huge! I'm surprised you guys let it go alive! I think I would have nightmares that it would crawl back in my house.
Are you counting down the months now until you graduate? Just a few more left. I'm "graduating" in December as well. I'm able to walk at the graduation, but I still have 2 classes I have to take the next semester. So I don't technically "graduate" until April. Oh well! The end is in sight!

Brandi said...

Yeah, the bug was big! Tim caught it outside and I was a little worried when he brought it into the house, especially once I found out that they fly, a lot! :o But later I figured it was so happy to be free that it wouldn't dare come back inside on it's own free will! :D

I am excited to be done with school, although I am a little sad too. I have really enjoyed my classes and I like the girls that are in my classes with me, so it will be a little hard to say good bye to all of them. We are all in pretty much the same classes and have been for a couple of years so we've bonded by this point. And most of the teachers are really great. I don't know if they have a graduation ceremony in December or if I will have to wait to actually walk next May, I guess I will find out! :) I thought about not walking, a lot of people don't, but Tim says that he wants to see it with his own eyes so I guess I probably should do it. And it would be good for the kids to see. :P Of course I won't have to worry about it if I can't figure out my internship...that's what is really scary to me at this point! I just don't want to do it. :)

Nicole said...

Love catching up! The kids are so cute! Oh, the bug reminds me of Brookly and her Madagascar Beetle escapade. Crazy! Hope to see you soon! Love you! You are amazing going to school through the adventure of kids! So proud of you!