We've been thinking a lot about Grandma's in our house this week. On Tuesday afternoon, Tim's Grandma, Ida Smith Church, passed away. She was 91 years old and had been waiting for the last few years to go home and be with Tim's Grandpa and their son, Johnny, who passed away many, many years ago. We are sad about her not being here with us, but we know she is happy to be reunited with her family and friends who have already passed on. She was a wonderful woman and we will miss her! We look forward to having her greet us again someday!! Ida Smith Church Here is Tim along with his Grandma, Mom, and Jensen in May 2006 on his Grandma's 90th birthday. I've also been thinking a lot about my Grandma Jones, who passed away 4 years ago tomorrow. I always go to the cemetary on her birthday, the day she died, and Mother's Day and it is always such a relaxing moment for me. I love the peacefulness that is there, and I also like seeing the different decorations on graves around hers, and how they change. Kind of silly, I know, but I think it's something that she probably would have noticed. Who has what flowers and what kind of trinkets are there??? She loved little figurines so I always try and find something little that I can leave along with the flowers that I bring. She was such a wonderful person, and I am often reminded of funny things she used to say and do. I remember her always wanting someone to "sweep the walks" (sweep the dirt off the outside sidewalks) and fixing cubes of cheese and grapes for my kids when they would come over to play and then telling me how kids always like cheese and grapes. :) Grandma's are so important during childhood and I was blessed to have two of the most wonderful ones on Earth! I am grateful for all the things they have taught me and I look forward to the day I get to see them again! Here is Jensen and Grandma Jones on Halloween 2002.
Ida Smith Church, 91, of Mesa, AZ passed away peacefully at her daughter’s home March 4, 2008.
She was born in Hunt, AZ, May 9,1916 to Asahel Henry and Pauline Udall Smith. She was raised in Snowflake, AZ and graduated with a teaching degree from Arizona Teachers College (now NAU) in Flagstaff where she met her husband, Howard Bailey Church.
Ida was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She served faithfully in many church positions. She offered love and service to so many people and enriched their lives as a result of her
remarkable gift of music. She and her sweetheart served a mission in the Seattle Temple in 1980-1981 and enjoyed the wonderful associations they made during that time.
Ida was preceded in death by her young son, John Henry Church, and her beloved husband Howard Bailey Church, having been married for 61 wonderful years. She is survived by a son, Robert Howard Church of Mesa, AZ; daughters Catherine Whitmer of Elfrida, AZ; Emily Mclaws Despain of Sandy, UT; Elaine Carter of Orem, UT; Gloria Baldwin, Norma Hastings, Donna Flaherty all of Gilbert, AZ; Debbie Nuckles of St. George, UT and 52 grandchildren, 107 great-grandchildren and 19 great-great grandchildren. 

Vote for Spunk...
17 years ago









3 comments:
I'm sorry about Tim's Grandma. It's great that you have fond memories of your grandparents!! I still have one grandma left, though the rest have been gone for so long now...
It does remind us to be grateful for what we have. My Dad has been gone almost 8 years now.
Love ya!
Way to make me cry! :) I still expect to see Grandma Jones whenever I'm down in Mesa and I still have my hard moments when I'm there. It's so hard to have people you love leave. I have the nightgown that Grandma is wearing in the pictures. I love to wear it and think of her. And--since Elliott knows how important it is to me--he doesn't even tell me how ridiculous I look in it. Isn't he wonderful!? :) I hope all goes well with the funeral for Tim's Grandma--we send our love!
Wow Melissa, I still can't believe it's been that long since your dad died. He died right around the same time my cousin died, and they both seem like yesterday. :(
And Brooke, that is so nice of Elliott to not tell you that you look silly wearing that nightgown! :D Although I can't really imagine you wearing it! :) And sorry to make you cry. :( I will try and get some pictures of the kids tomorrow at the funeral and again at the cemetary. Luckily I got the girls some Easter dresses a few weeks ago, so they should look cute. I wanted to get some stuff for the boys but they wouldn't go shopping with me so I guess they're out of luck!! :D They will have to make due.
Post a Comment