Inspiration by Twilight...

Twilight Quote Slideshow 475x238px

Sunday, March 23, 2008

A LONG Walk At The Zoo...

So, Friday I took the 3 little kids and we went to the Phoenix Zoo. My sweet friend Laura gave us some free passes so off we went! And since we had two extra tickets, I called my friend Melissa and she and her daughter Bethany met us there. Little did I know the adventure would begin before we even got into the zoo! Apparently I was not the only person with the thought that the zoo would be a fun place to spend the day... After driving around for about 40 minutes, and getting completely lost, we lucked into a parking space that ended up being worth the wait! :) We walked around for about an hour and a half before Bethany hit her limit, poor little thing! She's only 3 and was sure trying her hardest to keep up with the big kids. After they went home we spent another couple of hours there and saw lots of animals. The kids got to play in the Treehouse Playground and Jayden got his Cotton Candy that he had been waiting for all day. We even got to see the Arizona Trail that has all the animals native to Arizona. It was a fun day but we were all worn out by the time we got home.

Thanks for the tickets Laura!! And thanks for hanging out with us Melissa!! Maybe next time Laura and her kiddies will get to go with us! And maybe I will be a little smarter about what day we go so that we aren't there with half the free world! :o

Here are the kids trying to see what it's like to live in a tree...


Jensen eating the long awaited Cotton Candy...


Jayden and his bag of Cotton Candy...


Jillen and a javelina, which she has to do a report on for school this week...


The cute baby orangutan that the kids loved...


Our awesome parking spot... And if you've ever parked in a parking lot in the valley during the "hot" season, you know how amazing a tree is!! We had shade and everything!!! :D




I can't believe I almost forgot one of the best parts! We went to see the Mexican Wolf, or Lobo as we call it, and waited for a few minutes and saw nothing more than a bit of it's back as it walked around the rear of it's enclosure (the area is designed for privacy to promote breeding, meaning you see NOTHING unless the thing comes right up to the front fence). So we were just about to leave when all of the sudden one of the Lobo's comes walking right up to where we were standing and just stops and looks at us! Then a second one came up too!! We were so excited!! The sign said that there are only 200 of them left in the world and that they usually live in family packs of 5 or 6. I jokingly told the kids that they had come up to see us because they sensed that there was another Lobo (me) nearby and they wanted to see me. Afterall, I did graduate from Snowflake High School, Home of the Lobos! And I was a Loboette... It makes sense!! :D The kids said that since there were 4 of us and 2 of them, we could make up a pack. :P The only thing that could have made it better was if it would have howled, but I think the kids howled at it enough that it was probably thinking why waste it's time! The two of them stayed by the fence for a few minutes and then walked back into the enclosure. It was really cool!!


It sure was a fun day!! And I even got a little sunburn on my arms. Aaaahh, finally some color on my pale skin!! :D

16 comments:

Melissa said...

It sure was fun while it lasted! I got to CARRY her all the way to our way off parking spot! Bethany was obviously getting sick and Chander thinks she had some heat exhaustion. And now she has a nasty hacking cough + her asthma. SIGH! Next time I'm bringing the stroller!

Brooke said...

How fun! We were having some COLD weather and wind that day. So, I'm thinking how nice to get to enjoy the warm air! That's fun that you got to meet Melissa there too. And, I think the lobo could sense your presence. :) How was your Easter?

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

L---O---B---O---S---
What do you got?

LOBOS! LOBOS! LOBOS!

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

That Lobo thing takes me back!

It's been a while...but I can still picture my big sister out there on the football field performing the HECK out of those routines (for a reference...see 'More COWBELL' on our blogsite). You ROCK Brandles!

How could the Lobos NOT win when you were out there bringin' the inspiration, nay...the THUNDER AND LIGHTNING OF THE LOBOS to the White Mountains!

Okay, anyway...it was pretty inspiring!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

the cowbell thing is in our playlist...you may recognize a little Will Ferrell in there on SNL.

It's one of those classics where the entire cast is cracking up in the background (Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sans, and Chris Parnell).

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

you should also check out the Drew Danburry song near the top. That's my old roommate from BYU (Drew Barlow...now his stage name is Drew Danburry...in reference to the jerk Chet Danburry on 'Dead Poets' Society.' He's pretty good.

Brandi said...

Ahhh!! I gotta have more cowbell!! That is so funny!!! And oh yes, the old cheers! Jillen was asking me about them the other night and I couldn't remember hardly any of them! But I still know the fight song AND all of the actions to the dance!! ( Lobos we're proud of you, we're gonna win this game tonight! So Lobos let's buckle down and show them we're full of figh-igh-ight! Well you get the idea...) :D I think I could even still do the school song and actions that went with it. ( All hail to thee our high school, the finest in the land... :D ) Ahh, the good old days... :D :D :D

Oh, and Brooke, our Easter was ehhh. Nothing to write home about, but the big bunny did make a stop by our house, so I think the kids were happy. And excited that he filled and hid 112 eggs... Bet you didn't think there were that many hiding spots in our living room huh? (ya, there aren't really... :P )

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I mean...last time I checked, we don't exactly have a whole lot of songs that use the cowbell, and I think I would be EVERYONE a disservice if I didn't play the HECK out of this song!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Sounds more exciting than mine and Reeser's Easter.

We took candy and toys to the people we visiting and home teach.

We did start a new tradition in the Jones household...we made homemade chinese food (fried rice and egg roles all from scratch) and played games. It was a good day I suppose. I was so sad that the bunny didn't visit us, but we did steal a little of the candy before we gave it all to the kiddos! YOINK!!!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Hey...check out the movie quote quiz on Breezer's blogster.

If you want...I'll give you a bonus question...

you ready...

here goes...

#Bonus#Brandi#

"Wanna hear a story about the little engine that could?

...Then BAM, I looked over and Charlie said, I can't feel my legs! I said, that's cuz' they ain't there, and unless you can flip up and walk on your hands, you ain't gonna make it. Then his legs looked little stubs, and started kickin' like this."

Bonus: "And if that bad man's still in the closet, he ain't happy!" (After the good man had shot his pistol at the closet repeatedly)

Beegurl13 said...

:o I have no idea on those Blake! But' I'll go check out the quiz on Bri's blog. ;)

And I know!! We SO need more cowbell songs!!! :D

(Oh, and this is my alter ego, in case anyone was wondering. :) I had to set up another account so that I could view Sven and Olga's blog so I used the name I use for everything else, and now I get to have a picture of Matt and Julie from Friday Night Lights!! Now I get to see them plus Max and Liz when I post on here!! :P
Brandi )

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Well Piecers made a ton of comments, but I just wanted to say what a fun day! The pictures of the kids are so great! It is fun to see pictures of them! --Reesers

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

These quotes are all for
"Major Payne"

Brandi said...

Oh!!! I never would have gotten that! :) I don't think I've ever seen that movie. Is it good?
And thanks for the comments Olga! It's always fun to hear from you too!! I was trying to figure out who picked what songs on you and Sven's blog. You have a pretty good selection!!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Welp,
Olga started helping me pick songs and then got busy with other things...so I tried to put some of our favorite songs on. Olga's a little bit country, while Sven's a little bit rock and/or roll:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandi! Sounds like a fun trip to the zoo! It's a good thing your little monkeys didn't get mixed in with all the other monkeys there! I forgot to thank you for the goody bag you sent for Britt. He LOVED it! Especially the Fun Dip. That was his first Fun Dip! He went bonkers over that! I'll have to send you some pictures! Anyway, glad you had a good Easter. If our internet will work long enough, I'll try to post some pictures of our Easter...wait for it....wait for it.... :)

p.s. 112 EGGS!? Were they hidden all over the neighborhood or something?? :)